Thursday, November 20, 2008

Update on Abuela

Thank you all so much for your continued prayers for my abuela.

Since my arrival she has made steady progress in the areas of kidney function, reduction of dependence on the ventilator and battling the infection in her body. She received one dialysis treatment and that seemed to jump start her kidneys. Each day they have decreased the amount of oxygen she receives from the ventilator and she has done fine with that.

However, (and I really wish there wasn't a however) her blood pressure continues to run low and need medication to keep it stable. Unfortunately, all the medication for that has caused strain on her heart and for a few days her heart rate has been erratic. Today, at one point her heart rate soared to 155. So, now on top of everything else she has arrhythmia. She has started to receive medication for that, but they are giving her a 50/50 chance of having a heart attack. All the doctors agree that in her condition that would be fatal. After four days of improvements this is a turn for the worse.

Another problem is that she continues to have to be sedated because she has grown increasingly disturbed by the intubation over the last couple days. Several times yesterday she attempted to pull the tubes out so they had to put restraint mitts on her. She is very agitated and that is extremely hard to see.

Please continue to pray for her and my family.

She and my grandfather have been married for 58 years. My heart aches for him. We are a very close family and everyone is here in support of each other, but that doesn't make this much easier to endure.

I have been blessed in my life to know and love all of my grandparents. To have reached my age and still have all of them around puts me in a minority that most people only dream of. That, however, only makes this that much more difficult.

My hope is firmly in a loving God that is the Great Healer. He may choose to save her or He may choose to take her home. Whatever happens, I will praise Him.

9 comments:

Chris said...

What wonderful faith you have. And it sounds like you have been truly blessed in your life.
I sincerely hope and pray things will work out as you hope and pray they will.

Jaysi said...

Bless you and your sweet Abuela. I will pray for her and for the rest of your family. It is wonderful that you have a strong faith to fall back on and a wonderful family for support.

Carol said...

I have been a tad behind in my blogging and was so sad to come hear and read all about this your Abuela will be in my prayers as will you.

Laural Out Loud said...

My heart dropped when I read your first post- so happy to hear that she's doing better! I'll be praying for her full recovery.

Anonymous said...

Just found out about your grandmother. Will certainly hold her up in prayer as well as her family. May Our Lord be merciful and grant her continual improvement in health.
Bob and Pat Geipel

Tyne said...

I will keep praying for your abuela...

Anonymous said...

Susan, Thank you for the update. I have been praying for you and your family. I am so glad that you are all together. I know she feels that love and support!

Mozi Esme said...

I'm so sorry to hear about her problems. Prayers said...

Anonymous said...

Still praying...