Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sweet Relief

Today I had to take Mia in for a series of tests to make sure that the urinary tract infection she had several months ago was not a result of "plumbing" problems. I had the tests schedule for November, but we ended up being out of town that week because my grandmother was ill.

For awhile, I didn't reschedule because it wasn't a truly necessary test, just a precaution. However, with all of the heartbreaking stories I have read in the blogosphere lately, I just couldn't shake the "what if" from my worried mind. So, I scheduled it and today was the day.

Unfortunately, the tests were scheduled during her morning nap time and she didn't sleep in the car. The first test was an ultrasound of her bladder and kidneys. She did really well, though she kept giving the nice technician dirty looks. I let her play with a fabulous I-phone application called Mini-Piano where she could play music. Needless to say, the technician thanked me for bringing such a great diversion.

The next test was a lot more invasive. She had to be catheterized, have her bladder filled with water and then pee it back out all while being restrained on a metal table with a large MRI-like piece of equipment over her. I was right behind the back of her head trying to calm her, but she was terribly upset. I handled it much better than I thought I would and much better than I would have back in November when she was younger.

In typical Mia fashion she was stubborn and not doing exactly what they needed her to do. She needed to empty her bladder and was only peeing a little bit and then stopping. They took the catheter out and put a diaper on her and let me hold her for awhile while she peed. Well, that was the plan anyway. But, after 15 minutes she still had a full bladder. Everything during the tests looked perfect and so they decided to let us go even though she really didn't finish the last part of the test. I know that little princess probably peed as soon as we left the room!

I must say that when I walked out into the bright sunshine and the cold wind hit my face, I felt a such sweet relief. I have been overly worried about all things health related lately. (Maybe because we seem to be enduring and endless string of bugs and colds) It is so good to know that she is fine and the urinary tract infection was just a random problem.

Thank you God. This mommy is going to sleep so much better tonight!

4 comments:

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i am there with you sister. i thought when i started reading, oh no...please, Lord. no.

shew...i'm so thankful that she's peeing good. who knew to be thankful for such things? i have had 15 bladder surgeries throughout my days...know how those tests go. and for the record, i'm stubborn, refuse to pee and cry too!

Anonymous said...

SO glad baby is doing better! And that mommy can finally take a well needed nap--a nap, yeah right, huh? Those were the good old days, weren't they? Locked in watching Lifetime movies all Saturday!
I wish for just one of those now! And I don't even have kids!

Casey's trio said...

I'm so glad everything looked okay with the tests! What a little trooper she is and of course, a brave mommy too!

Briana said...

First time reading this, thanks for sharing