Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mommy's Intuition

This morning I went upstairs to take a shower.
Now, if you had asked me before becoming a mom what would be the greatest challenges, showering would not have made my list. However, I think most moms with children my age will tell you otherwise. Rarely, do I get to shower at a normal pace without worrying about what is going on with the kids. During the week, I usually wait until Mia is sleeping and Austin is either happily watching a show in the basement or he comes upstairs with me and uses our large garden tub as a fun place to run his cars.
Today, Austin had started watching his video on monster trucks, one of his favorites. Mark left for the office and I hopped in the shower. Mia, thankfully was sleeping. I sped through my routine, wishing I had the luxury to enjoy the warm water and relax a little bit. I hopped out, brushed my teeth, put on a little make-up and got dressed. I was about to dry my hair when it occurred to me that usually by then Austin has gotten tired of being alone and comes up to find me. I assured myself that everything was fine, but for a couple minutes I couldn't shake the feeling that I should check on him. I knew that his video was surely over, but again told myself that he was probably playing with his trains or cars and was fine. Then I started thinking about the fact that over the last week or so he has been letting our dog, Beau, in and out through the sliding glass door in the basement. Which of course means that he could let himself out the door in the basement. I decided I better go check. I walked to the top of the stairs to listen and heard nothing. I then walked downstairs to the top of the basement steps, listened and heard nothing. So, I walked down the last flight of stairs and saw the basement door wide open and my 2 year old standing outside in the 50 degree weather with no socks and his pajamas on. He looked at me and said, "Owwside, go swing pease."
So, needless to say, taking a shower has now become even more of a challenge than before. Oh the joys of having an independent two year old!

No comments: