Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Binky Dilemma

We have ourselves in a bit of a pickle with Austin. You see he has always had a special place in his heart for his binky. We knew the time would come when we would need to end this love affair, but it never seemed to be a good time. Two seemed to be a good time to "wean" him, but since Mia was about to be born and that would be a lot of change at once, we let it go. However, now we are getting closer and closer to two and a half and there are really no more excuses.
Especially since he shamelessly walks around with it as much as possible. Here he is displaying his favorite pink one. He used to be very agreeable to the terms of the binky which were to only have it while sleeping or in the car (resulting in sleeping). But, since Mia was born he has become outright defiant and wants it in his mouth all the time. He will walk up three flights of stairs to his room to find one when the mood strikes him. He wants to be a big boy and do big boy things, but not without his precious binky. Here you can see that he wants to wear Mommy's flip flops, but the fashion statement wouldn't be complete without the pink binky as an accessory.
Frankly, we are tired of keeping up with the binkies. Looking for binkies, washing binkies, retrieving binkies in the middle of the night, enough is enough. The tug of war must end! But how to go about removing them is the question.
We have heard people puncture the binky or cut the tip off, so it doesn't feel the same and provides less comfort. Then there are the poor kids in Africa who need binkies (well that is the story anyway), but he is too young to understand the whole logical reasoning route. The pediatrician suggested going cold turkey, but warned that it would likely be up to a week of "hell". But it does need to end because it may interfere with his speech, teeth, etc. Not to mention that he is so much cuter without one of those things in his mouth.
So, I ask you....any suggestions or opinions on this matter?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry... I'm still trying to wrap my mind around whatever it is that a pediatrician has to do with a pacifier. I'm worried that it's probably along the lines of whatever a public school teacher has to do with teenage sex.

The DeBolt Family said...

I have no suggestions as we are going through the same thing, except for the fact that Elijah's binky is me. :) But good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

Some Pediatricians as well as School Teachers are more than just professionals at what they do. Some can be trusted counselors and advisor's too, it sounds like their pediatrician is more than just a Dr which I think is hard to find.

Unknown said...

Yes, I guess I'm just showing my age here. I can't fathom ever having thought that this would have been a topic of conversation in a medical office. I pity the poor Dr. who ever thought to comment on a non-medical aspect of my children.

As I recall, our kids left behind pacifiers at about the same time they understood the command "No". A couple of the more ingenious thought to try replacing with thumb or fingers. But even my grandkids know not to pull that trick around me.

I'm probably outside the mainstream of parenting these days. Maybe that's why even though we could, my wife rejects the request.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any suggestions for removing the binky. However, I do think you should make him where his Pitt hat when he insists on sporting the pink binky!