Okay, I know this may sound a little weird, but trust me on this one, it's good!
This has become my Halloween night meal. The pumpkin is not recognizable and is a great, healthy addition to an already yummy dinner (or lunch).
Pumpkin Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: shredded cheddar and sour cream
2. Add turkey and break up with a spatula as it browns. Once it is evenly browned, mix in tomatoes, corn, beans and pumpkin.
3. Season with the next six ingredients.
4. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour.
This makes a thick chili. If you prefer a soupier consistency add chicken broth until desired thickness is reached.
Top chili with shredded cheddar and sour cream. Enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from the following recipe.
For more Halloween themed recipes head over to Our Lives in a Nutshell and: