Oven Roasted Vegetables with Chicken Sausage
2 medium yellow squash
2 medium zucchini
1 large red onion
1 large red bell pepper
1 pound of your favorite flavor of fully cooked chicken sausage
1/3 cup olive oil (or just enough to lightly coat vegetables)
Freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan or other sharp, salty cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rough chop all the vegetables into large chunks. Toss into a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. If you want to give the dish some kick you can also add some crushed red pepper flakes, but that’s a mood thing for me. Usually I just really want to taste all the great vegetables and don’t want anything to cover that up. (By the way, you can really use any veggies that you like. I often include mushrooms and tomatoes as well, but just didn’t have them on hand this time.)
- Cut sausage into rounds and stir into the mixture. This time I bought a sundried tomato, basil, mozzarella sausage and it was wonderful with the veggies. You could certainly use any kind of sausage or substitute with portabello mushrooms for a vegetarian dish.
- Place in the oven and roast for about 30-35 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes.
- Right before serving, top with some freshly grated parmesan or other sharp cheese. You can also top with some fresh herbs like parsley or basil and that is wonderful too.
That’s it! So easy, so simple and so delicious…well if you like vegetables that is. This dish is very versatile so play around with it until it suits you. It goes great with some crusty bread!